If you're in the mood for an afternoon snack, or a light breakfast, these scones are perfect. They have a nice light texture to them, and are similar to the last recipe I posted for Gluten Free Tea Biscuits, although these were inspired and adapted to gluten free from these Sun-dried Tomato and Cheddar Scones by Hilah at HilahCooking.com. I LOVE her. She's creative, knowledgeable and funny. Check her out if you haven't yet, her Youtube Channel is just the best thing ever.
Back to the scones. I've been on a jalapeno kick for months now, and instead of using sun-dried tomato and green onion, like Hilah did, I swapped in jalapenos. And loved it. If you don't love jalapenos, you can leave them out, or use sun-dried tomatoes like the original recipe. Either way, I hope you try these and enjoy them Let me know!
Gluten Free Cheddar and Jalapeno Scones
- 210 grams gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum, if your mix doesn't include it
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 57 grams butter, cubed and cold
- 3/4 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2/3 cups buttermilk (I used almond milk + vinegar) + about 1 tbsp for brushing on top
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Cut in butter (with two knives, a fork, a pastry cutter, or your fingers), and then fold in cheese and jalapeno.
- Add milk and mix until it comes together in a ball.
- Turn out onto lightly floured counter and pat into a flat 8-inch disc (or roll it, your preference).
- Cut into 6 pieces, and lay each piece onto a baking tray lined with a silicone mat. Brush the tops with a bit of buttermilk and bake for about 25 minutes.
Adapted from Hilahcooking.com